Monday, February 28, 2005

Presbytarians and Uranus

Just wrapped up my first two college classes. If you have not been reading along, I've been instructed to teach "Robinson Crusoe" and "A Tale of Two Cities." The course is supposed to be a basic freshmen introduction to western literature, and as such, I spent much of today's class talking about the historical background of "Crusoe" and plot structure.

I'm pretty sure the following items went right over my students' heads:
Catharsis
Climax
Denounement
Anglican reforms
Stuart Kings
Age of Enlightenment
Presbytarianism

But I know they learned the following, and now even understand:
Colonialism
Slavery
Whiskey

Finally, if it means anything, I was teaching a class of 8 year olds the other day the planets of the solar system and I promise to god they will never pronounce "Uranus" incorrectly. I drilled them repeatedly on "Uranus." Loud enough the other teachers could hear (and salute me afterwards).

Oh, China. Uranus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home