Friday, February 25, 2005

Of the Utmost Theology and Geometry

Harbin, China in wone word: cold.

In many words: Cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, and cold.

When I first arrived a week ago it was so cold that I still felt a strong chill while wearing my long underwear, long sleeve T-shirt, flannel shirt, sweater, overcoat, scarf, gloves and cap. It was so cold that the mucus froze IN my nose. As such, I made it first priority to purchase the warmest hat I could find. Popping over the mass market across from my hotel I selected a piece of head gear inspired by Ignatius J. Reilly (hero of "Confederacy of Dunces," one of my favorite books that I'm re-reading right now, and one of the best satires of the 20th century). The big, furry monstrosity that now sits upon my head comes complete with ridicruous earflaps that protect my darling lobes.

Luckily, the temperature seems to be on an upswing. For instance, today I can feel my nose. What extremity will regain feeling tomorrow? I look forward to finding out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home