Monday, November 21, 2005

Water-lieu: Preparation






I've been a busy little beaver since being warned of the impending doom. Since word of the water stoppage reached my cell phone, I've been filling almost any sizeable container full of water; hopefully enough to last more than a few days. At this point it is still unclear as towards what is happening, all we are sure of here in Harbin is that the water is going to stop.

As of this moment, here is how my stores lie: In my bathroom I've got 9 approx. liter sized beer bottles, 3 wine bottles, and 2 scotch bottles full of water for "flushing" purposes. I've got two basins and a stolen beer pitcher sitting in my kitchen, these are allocated for face washing and teeth brushing. Finally, I filled up my laundry machine, which stores over 10 gallons, for emergency purposes. None of this water is drinkable, unless first boiled, but I've still got about 4 gallons in my water cooler.

Apparently the stores have all had a run on food and water, and I picked up some of my own edibles just now. There was not much left, so all I walked out with was a few loaves of bread, some cured lamb shanks, a big hunk of beef sausage, and some assorted yogurts. I've already compiled a large reserve of chocolate (thanks to Mom and Aunt Kaethe) so I think I'm OK on the food front.

Now, I need to say this again, NO ONE REALLY KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON. I've heard that the water will be off for 4 days, 6 days, and 10 days. I've heard that its because an earthquake is going to happen, I've heard that the earthquake already happened, I've heard that its due to pollution levels, I've heard its because a petrochemical factory on the bank of the local river burnt down thus tainting the water supply. Every person I ask has a different story. Even the newspaper isnt clear.

I'm scared, I really am. But I'm prepared to hole up in my apartment starting tomorrow. We've still got a few hours until the entire city is cut off, and I'm willing to eat out tonight and feel confident in the sanitation at the restaurant, but starting tomorrow, no. I really can not believe that any eatery will have enough stock of water to properly clean and maintain healthy conditions. Its hard enough as is where most customers spend their time not chewing hocking lugies on the floor. Now they can't flush the toliet or wash their hands?

And what about my school? Or any school? I've seen unflushed squatters overflow and spill across floors, am i going to have to work alongside that sort of mess? That sort of smell? Ugh. I foresee much problemos on the horizon.

"And behold, a pale horse, and he who sat on it, his name was Death. Hades followed with him. Authority over one fourth of the earth, to kill with the sword, with famine, with death, and by the wild animals of the earth was given to him."

Man, I love getting biblical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home