Thursday, May 05, 2005

Shandong and Back Again: A McGonigle's Tale

The adventure fell nothing short of a complete and utter succcess. Each moment along the way, beginning as Qingdao appeared from underneath the clouds and until the plane touched back down in Harbin, brought new discoveries, stories, people, experiences, and excitement. I'm gushing right now with all that I want to share. I'm also peeling, as the weather was gorgeously bright each and every day and sunscreen is a rare commodity in the Orient. As are hats larege enough for my head.

Over the course of the past week I climbed two mountains and traveled hundreds of miles by bus. I watched the sunset on the western plane and then rise over the ancient kingdom of Lu. I ate turtles and sea cucumbers, drank from kegs and coconuts. I discovered the refreshing nature of roast squid paired with the proper green tea. I met a dozen ancestors of Confucious and none of them had anything wise to say. I did it all alone, relying solely on my wits (ha!) and my Chinese (HA!) but made many a friend along the way.

I'll be spending a lot of time posting the stories on this blog in the near future, just as soon as I get my pictures fully uploaded and ready to go. Keep an eye out. This trip has rejuvinated my mind and body like none other. I'm excited to share all about it, but more excited to see what else China has to offer.

Adventure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home