Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Happy St. Patrick's Day

By the time I finish writing this here post it will be St. Patrick's Day in China. So happy St. Patty's to all y ou Irish mothers out there. And also to all you drunks, wannabes, and friends-of. But not to the French. Never to the dirty French.

One year ago, on St. Patrick's Day 2004, I was actually in Ireland touring around the south west of the Emerald Isle with my fam. The celebration there was nothing like what it was in the US, well, to say, people were not riotous, drunk, and perpetuating Irish stereotypes as they do from Boston to Baton Rouge. It was actually a religious holiday, believe it or not.

I don't expect to find much appreciation in either vein here in China. I've been teaching the history of St. Patrick to my classes, as well as the modern American interpretation, but I doubt I've converted many if any. On the note of Irish-American riotousness, I don't think any college students in China drink at all. Seriously. They all love to sleep and eat and... well, little else, but none of them will mention anything about alcohol. Of the 90 or so college freshmen I have, only 1 admitted to ever having imbided sweet sweet beer. Mind you, Harbin is the the #2 consumer of beer in the world.

Shop talk aside, I'm going to a a German establishment tomorrow for lunch. All you can eat, all you can drink, US $3. And they have ales, stouts, and porters on top of the local lagers. A boon for your courageous author, a lover of the darker beers. After that, chances are likely that the local expat bar will be on the agenda.

For now, well, I've introduced poker (Texas Hold-Em) to my Canadian and Chinese staff, and they are chomping at the bit for more. Good for me. Feeling accomplished in spreading all worth-while vices, I think it is now time to settle in with a Rutger Hauer opus: "Blind Fury." He's lucky he can't see what he's up against!

1 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger eirishis said...

Billiam, here in the Old North State, there shall be a keg of green beer and bottles of Guinness for those like us that are not faint of heart. And beer pong, sweet beautiful beer pong, on a table where I cannot bounce. I would pour some out for you, but you'd not have me waste the Guinness. Godspeed to you on St. Me Day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home