Saturday, December 31, 2005

Luca Wang Sleeps with the Fishes

Don't front with a fo'ner.

Yesterday afternoon one of my Canadian coworkers was harrassed by a taxi driver. He tried to overcharge her, then he tried to lock her in his cab, at some point he kicked her in the stomach, and in the end it was simply a bad scene.

My coworker told our Chinese staff.

They called their boss.

She called her husband, the Chief of Police.

He dispatched a mob.

I found out this afternoon that the fronting cab driver was captured, physically beat by four police officers, then slapped with a fine.

I'm not sure how to feel about all this. One one hand it seems like justice was found, but on the other hand I'm not really sure if what was served was truly justice. Yeah, in a way, I'm happy the cab driver got his dues, but I'm not a fan of police beatings and if you grew up in the US when I did I don't know how anyone could be a fan. And as an SFS grad, institutions that work as such when inspired by personal connections and not responsibility, well, I won't get started there...

Hey, its New Year's Eve!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home